Wednesday 21 July 2010

Garden







I have been meaning to post for quite some time about the garden that Abby and I have been working on. We started in the autumn of last year digging out a flower bed in which we put a few plants and lots of bulbs. Unfortunately the winter was so hard last year that most of the plants did not make it through. However, the first of our bulbs to show up was the snowdrops, followed by large white crocuses, small, multiple headed daffodil's, snakes heads and finally bright red tulips. It was a beautiful display. Abby and I also planted some vegetable and flower seeds. We planted basil, courgette, french beans, carrots and salad leaves. We had a great crop of salad leaves and I still am amazed at how wonderful FRESH leaves taste compared to even the freshest leaves from the stores. We are still waiting on the carrots and the courgettes are coming, they have been very slow. The french beans have not been (no pun intended) so successful but I noticed a couple of beans on the very sorry looking plants. The basil has been fine and is such a strong flavour. I am hoping to do a bigger veg patch next year but we will see if I have time. We are also planning to put in a patio and more plants in the flower bed.


0 comments: