Tuesday 6 January 2009

Prayers

I am sorry to have to blog bad news but we really need your prayers. As most of you know my dad has been undergoing various treatments for cancer for a couple of years now. We thought after some surgery that everything was under control and taken care of. However, after a few months and scans my dad had a negative report, below is the email that he sent out which explains it better than I could.

Dear family & friends

The result of my PET scan done in December was not as good as we had hoped. It showed that the cancer has returned. Two years ago the primary was in the colon with secondaries in the liver. There are still two secondaries on the liver (one we knew about that showed up on a CT Scan and MRI Scan) and four more specks have shown up in my abdomen. My oncologist said that PET scans have improved so much that two years ago these would not even have showed so they are very small specks. That means we have some time before we have to make our next decisions. Right now I am feeling good and able to do everything. My oncologist’s opinion is that he cannot cure this and in view of side-effects of a second lot of chemotherapy we postpone any treatment. According to him it would be a matter of managing symptoms and controlling pain. We are thinking about all of this carefully before we meet with him later this month to give him my decision. I am finding it very hard right now as after surgery things were looking good. It has taken me a few days before I could even write this but we wanted you to know. We need your encouragement more than ever and again we ask for your prayers.

With our love & appreciation and best regards for 2009.

John & Irene


Again I am sorry for the bad news. We will keep you updated as things progress.

3 comments:

Carrie Brown said...

Deb,
I am soo soo sorry about this. It makes me so sad. Are you doing okay with this news and being pregnant and all? Let me know if there is anything I can do. We will keep you mom and dad in our prayer and I'll pass it along to my family as well. Please tell your parents I am praying for them and John Anthony and Kristen as well. Please keep us posted. I will be thinking of you. Love,
Carrie

Daisha said...

We'll be praying about this situation as well.
-Daisha

Unknown said...

Hey Deb, You guys are all in our prayers, I will put it on the list at church too. I know this is a stressful situation, but it is is the Lords hands, he will give you the peace and comfort you need. We love you guys!!! Hugs to you and you family